2017 Language School Programs

With the end of the C30, Language Coop Programs are over, but there are still many experiential education options open for language school students. 

Experience Education has prepared, tested and implemented a new suite of programs designed for language schools. These programs were created to meet the continuing need for experiential program options, and take into consideration recent visa changes which have closed older C30-language coop programs.

Program Offerings

Experience Education has 7 types of experiential programs available for language schools:

Career Tours

Career Tours are structured, guided, half day, full day, or recurring visits to companies in different fields. Tours are packaged to combine numerous elements including observation and in some cases, hands on work. Students will meet people involved in a targeted field, tour businesses, and depending on the field: see a baseball game, eat a gourmet meal, assist with a business project, and more. No work permit or study permit required. Read more ...


In Farmstay, students are placed at a farm or ranch in rural and wilderness areas of BC, Alberta, Ontario, or Quebec. There they live with a family and assist in the day to day upkeep of their family farm. Students see the great outdoors, get up close and personal with animals, and try Canadian food, fresh out of the ground. While students receive room and board in exchange for their help on the farm, a work permit is not required.  Read more ...


Voluntern is structured, full-time work on individualized projects in dozens of fields at federally registered charities. It is hands-on meaningful work, where the Voluntern student contributes to the community while also building their skills set and improving their language. Voluntern participants are placed for 4-16 weeks at a federally registered charity in BC, Alberta, Ontario, and Quebec. Read more ...

IEC Pathway

Immigration Canada (CIC) operates a program of reciprocal work permits for international youth called the International Experience Canada Program. You may know this as the working holiday program, or the youth mobility program. Experience Education has a suite of program offerings for IEC participants, including paid and unpaid practicum (internship) programs. Experience Education's IEC Pathway programs connect preliminary language studies at your school with an Experience Education IEC program.

Language Coop Legacy Programs

Experience Education continues to service language coop programs, including paid and unpaid practicum (internship) programs, as well as city and resort casual work programs. Students who booked with your school before June 1st, 2014 will continue to arrive for months to come. Though as numbers diminish, some schools with in-house program delivery may find it difficult and costly to offer the same level of service as they did before the visa change. That's where Experience Education can help.

The difference between experiential and coop programs

Language coop programs are closed. They are closed for new students and schools should not offer any of these in future, or feature them on their websites. If that is the case though, then how can we offer any programs to language schools?

Language coop programs can be defined as:

  • being done as a requirement of the curriculum
  • a separate full-time component, apart from in class studies 
  • participants are necessarily still your students while they are on the coop term
  • aiding language acquisition
  • often being paid
  • requiring a C30 coop work permit, with the school listed as the employer

Experiential programs are very different from coop. Specifically:

  • they are not required by the curriculum
  • participants are not necessarily still your students while they are in an experiential program
  • language is not necessarily the goal of an experiential program
  • students are typically not paid
  • most programs do not require a work permit, those that do are host-specific, with no connection whatsoever to the school

While language coop programs are closed, experiential programs are not. They are unaffected by changes to Immigration Canada rules. 

Experiential programs are offered in the same way as your tour options. Many schools offer tours to New York, Niagara Falls, Whistler, or the Rockies. Participants in these tours don't need special visas, and don't need to be students in order to participate. The tours are typically unconnected to the curriculum - though they do give a lot back to the student and enrich their experience at your school. The school's role in offering these tours is as a reseller for a travel agency - reselling these tours to give a broader range of experiences to their students and to make their schools more attractive in the market. 

Experiential programs are the same on every point - the role of schools in offering experiential programs is as resellers for another agency, in this case ours - Experience Education. The programs are not inside the school, but in partnership with it, as an offering to students to give them a broader, richer range of experiences during their time with you.

Our report above, goes into this difference in more detail. You can view the report on this page, above, or download it from here